- Circular dichroism (CD) spectrometer Chirascan Plus (Applied Photophysics) – Measurement of circular dichroism spectra and absorbance as function of temperature, pH and concentration to determine the secondary structure of proteins and peptides, conformation of RNA and DNA, as well as to detect conformational changes.
- UV/Vis Spectrometer Specord 50 Plus (Analytica Jena) – Molecular absorption spectroscopy with ultraviolet and visible radiation in the spectral range from 190 to 1100 nm.
- Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) system ProteOn XPR36 (BioRad) – Label-free quantitative analysis of biomolecular interactions by the technique of surface plasmon resonance (SPR).
- Isothermal titration calorimeter MicroCal iTC200 (Malvern Panalytical) – Label-free solution studies of biomolecular interactions.
- Differential scanning calorimeter MicroCal VP-Capillary DSC (Malvern Panalytical) – Direct measurement of intramolecular stability of biological macromolecules, as well as the intermolecular stability of biologically-relevant complexes such as oligomeric proteins, nucleic acid duplexes, and micellar systems (lipid and detergent micelles).
- Monolith microscale thermophoresis (MST) NT.115 (Nano Temper) – Study of biomolecular interactions. The device allows to characterize protein-protein and protein-ligand (small molecule, DNA, RNA, peptides, sugars, lipids) interactions that can be measured under close to native conditions based on thermophoretic effect. Protein labeling is required with this device.
- Monolith microscale label free thermophoresis NT.LabelFree (Nano Temper) – Characterization of protein-ligand interactions based on thermophoretic effect, using the intrinsic tryptophan fluorescence. No sample modification is required with this device.
- Differential scanning fluorescense (DSF) assay Prometheus NT.48 (Nano Temper) – Measurement of protein stability using tyrosine and tryptophan fluorescence.
- Dynamic light scaterring (DLS) technique Zetasizer Nano ZS90 (Malvern Panalytical) – Measurement of molecular size using Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS), zeta potential and molecular weight using Static Light Scattering.
- Multi-angle dynamic light scattering (MADLS) technique Zetasizer Ultra (Malvern Panalytical) – Fast and accurate particle measurements by Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS) with Non-Invasive-Back-Scatter (NIBS).
- Modular fluorescence spectrometer FLS1000 (Edinburgh Instruments) – For measuring spectra from the ultraviolet to the mid-infrared spectral range, and lifetimes spanning from picoseconds to seconds.
- FTIR spectrometer Vertex 70v (Bruker) - Provides the unique possibility to acquire a complete far and mid IR spectrum from 6000 cm-1 to 50 cm-1 in a single step measurement.
Crystallisation of proteins and nucleic acids, Diffraction techniques
- NanoDLS Spectrolight 600 (Molecular Dimension) - In drop dynamic light scattering measurements in Terasaki 72-well plates.
- Gryphon Dropsetter (Art Robbins) - A multi-channel (96 channels) pipetting robot for the easy set-up of nanodrop crystallisation plates.
- Dropsetter NT8 (Formulatrix) – Automated pipetting crystallisation robot with controlled level of the air humidity, LCP head, possibility of robotic seeding.
- Crystallization hotel RI1000 (Formulatrix) - A crystallisation plate storage and automated crystallization monitoring enclosure allowing remote access to crystallization images. Crystallisation drop images can be taken using visible light, polarized light and UV; 500 positions for plates.
- Glovebox with stereomicroscope (GS) - Crystallization and crystal manipulation under defined (oxygen-free) atmosphere.
- D8 Venture diffractometer (Bruker) - Diffractometer with a high-flux liquid Gallium X-ray source MetalJet D2, Photon II detector and Kappa goniometer or ISX stage. The diffractometer is used (at CMS) for X-ray diffraction of biomolecular crystals.
- ISX stage for D8 Venture - Motorized stage for in-situ X-ray diffraction experiments, enabling screening of diffraction properties in crystallization trays.
- SAXSpoint 2.0 (Anton Paar) - State-of-art laboratory instrument for measuring SAXS and WAXS from various types of samples, including proteins and other biomolecules. The instrument is equipped with Excillum MetalJet C2+ X-ray source, Dectris Eiger 1M detector and UV-Vis spectrometer.
Structural Mass Spectrometry
- 15T-SolariX XR FT-ICR mass spectrometer (Bruker Daltonics) - This ultra-high resolution mass spectrometer is used mostly for the determination of the precise mass of biological macromolecules, and the characterization of their posttranslational modifications. Further possibilities include peptide mass fingerprinting, detection of small molecule/metabolites, monitoring of protein structural changes and protein-protein interactions under physiological conditions by hydrogen-deuterium exchange and chemical cross-linking.
- UPLC (Agilent Technologies) - For the separation of complex peptide mixtures, proteins and metabolites.
- HPLC (Agilent Technologies)
- Excimer laser (Coherent) - Used for Fast Photochemical Oxidation of Proteins (FPOP) - a type of hydroxyl-radical-based protein footprinting.
- MALDI-TOF (Bruker Daltonics) - Used for routine analysis of peptides and proteins.